Question on sXBL and ownerDocument

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:40:08 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org

I was looking at the sXBL draft and noticed that the shadow nodes' ownerDocument
points to the sXBL document.  As a result, one can have nodes which have
ownerDocument set to a document that they are not really "in" (in the sense that
traversing the parentNode chain will never reach it).

I understand the reasons for this decision, and I agree with them, but it does
lead to some ambiguities in interpreting certain constructs.  I'll be sending
more mail on this when and if I run into these issues, but for a start consider
the following scenario:

<template> "contains child nodes that can be in any namespace".  Say I have an
<xhtml:img> in the template that has a usemap attribute set.  Where should the
<xhtml:map> element be searched in?  The sXBL document, or the ownerDocument of
the element that the binding is attached to?

I'm leaning towards searching in the sXBL document, since the shadow content
should not be making assumptions about the structure of the document it's
attached to... is that correct?

-Boris