Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Streaming

Hi,

(I'm just jumping with that email, haven't read the previous parts of
the thread)

On 30 nov. 04, at 00:52, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Jim Ley wrote:
>>> Perhaps I misunderstand the point of the timeline, that being to
>>> provide the user with some sort of time-varying view of the page.
>>> If the user ends up missing part (or all) of it because rendering
>>> could not be started, that seems undesirable....
>> It depends on the use case of course, which is why it can be
>> controlled with externalResourcesRequired AIUI.
>
> Can you name a reasonable use case in which you want the user to miss
> content?
>
> Or put another way, is there a reason the default behavior is
> unreasonable?

The default behavior, where "externalResourcesRequired" is set to
"false", allows for progressive rendering of content. This property was
introduced before further consideration of streaming and so mostly
deals with rendering of heavy, mostly static content such as maps or
technical illustration.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/
struct.html#ExternalResourcesRequired

Antoine