Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

On Thursday, November 25, 2004, 1:30:07 PM, Anne wrote:

AvK> Chris Lilley wrote:
>> AvK> Because it has a BOM before the start of the document
>>
>> You mean, it has one and is thus UTF-16 (what the spec says) or , it has
>> one and is still UTF-8 (what you said)?

AvK> I never said that. Anyway, it's UTF-16.

>> AvK> where your example does not? Quite obvious IMHO.
>>
>> Of course mine does, as I said, the following content, encoded in UTF 16
>> thus it has one.

AvK> That's not true. You can have UTF-16 or UTF-8 content for that matter
AvK> without a BOM.

Um, leaving aside UTF-8, and noting that UTF-16 is not the same as
UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE, please justify this statement with reference toa
named portion of a specification.

Isn't this straying rather far away from the registration of the SVG
media type? Your original assertion that in the absence of a charset
parameter all +xml content defaults to UTF-8 having been proven false, I
am not really sure where this particular sub-thread is leading.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group