Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 10:55:31 PM, Anne wrote:

AvK> Chris Lilley wrote:
>> Thanks for responding. I agree that UTF-8 is correct for those two
>> examples. Now please read
>>
>> 8.9 Application/xml with Omitted Charset and UTF-16 XML MIME Entity
>>
>> and tell me why you believe this gets a UTF-8 charset when RFC 3023
>> clearly dsays that it gets UTF-16?

AvK> Because it has a BOM before the start of the document

You mean, it has one and is thus UTF-16 (what the spec says) or , it has
one and is still UTF-8 (what you said)?

AvK> where your example does not? Quite obvious IMHO.

Of course mine does, as I said, the following content, encoded in UTF 16
thus it has one.

My point, in case you had not understood it, is that you made an
incorrect statement. You said that in the absence of a charset parameter,
the default is *always UTF-8*

This is incorrect (I had hoped that by asking you to back up your
assertions with text from the relevant specifications, you would have
discovered this for yourself).

In the absence of a charset parameter, the encoding is whatever the xml
encoding declaration says it is. To quote RFC 3023, section 3.6, second
bulleted list, second point:

  If the charset parameter is omitted, conforming XML processors MUST
  follow the requirements in section 4.3.3 of [XML].

For 4.3.3, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#charencoding

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group