Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:44:12 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, <www-svg@w3.org>

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 4:26:54 PM, Anne wrote:

AvK> Chris Lilley wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 4:07:16 PM, Anne wrote:
>>
>> AvK> Chris Lilley wrote:
>>
>> AvK> If an explicit charset parameter is given, a UA must use that
>> charset. AvK> If no charset parameter is given, a UA falls back to
>> the default for AvK> that MIME type, in this case UTF-8.
>>
>> Can you point to where in which specification you get this from? That
>>  would be very helpful.

AvK> RFC 3023

Remarkably terse, but not very helpful. By 'where" I was meaning a
quoted section.

Are you asserting that the following instance, encoded in UTF-16

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<foo>Hello World</foo>

with this header

gets treated as UTF-8? If not, what did you mean above? If so, why?

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group