Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:06:33 +0100
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

* Chris Lilley wrote:
>>> Are you saying that the proposed registration would avoid that, i.e.,
>>> that http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/utf8-or-iso-8859-1.svg must be
>>> considered UTF-8 encoded by all implementations?
>
>RB> Ideally yes. It is, after all, what the XML document says.

Well, I am more interested in the actual proposal, so far I've been told
that e.g. the W3C Markup Validator does not need to change in order to
comply with the proposed registration and it does not consider it UTF-8.

>More interesting of course would be the reverse test - Björn, could you
>set that one up too? Make the document be encoded in 8859-1, with an xml
>encoding declaration of UTF-8 and an http header that sets the
>non-existent charset parameter in the SVG media type to ISO-8859-1.

http://www.bjoernsworld.de/temp/utf8-or-iso-8859-1-2.svg -- even though
it is not actually more interesting, the first document should allow to
determine how the implementation determines the encoding, you can only
check whether implementations that ignore the charset parameter fail to
fail on UTF-8 encoding errors.