Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Thomas DeWeese wrote:

> I personally think that the only reasonable thing to do here is state
> that if a charset is provided and it doesn't match the xml encoding then
> the response is ill-formed and the behavior is implementation dependent.
> Then the only people who have work to do are people who are sending
> content with contradictory charset and xml encoding specifications.

Actually the only people with work to do would be the implementors of UAs
with low market share: they would have to reverse engineer the error
handling of the UA with most market share (the one that users test with)
and try to faithfully reimplement it, in order to be able to render the
same content in the same way.

Which is what happened with HTML, as you'll recall, when the error
handling behaviour for that language was left implementation dependent.