Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: image/svg+xml;charset=""

* Robin Berjon wrote:
>If you disagree, take it to the TAG because we're sure sticking to their
>recommendation:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/Overview.html#xml-media-types

<http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/mail-archive/msg00984.html>:

[...]
  I do not see any way to justify removing the 'charset' parameter
  based on 'good practice' advice in the Web Architecture document
[...]

>Well a new ship's up with the updated RFC 3023 that deals with all the
>previous bugs.

SVG processors and general purpose XML processors need to determine the
same character encoding for image/svg+xml;charset=... resources, nothing
in RFC3023 or the current RFC3023bis ensures that if the SVG 1.2 spec
requires implementations to ignore the charset parameter. You might well
argue that RFC3023bis should either require implementations to ignore
the charset parameter for all types or that implementations reject
documents when honoring the charset parameter yields in different
resules than when ignoring it, then it might be okay to omit the charset
parameter from the registration, but this is neither the current state
of affairs, nor is this proposed in the latest RFC3023bis draft as far
as I can tell.

>And the best way to achieve that is to not use charset parameters.

Using the parameter and specifying processing when it is used are quite
different matters. I for example could live with registration text in
SVG 1.2 that has a charset parameter but states that using it is
STRONGLY DISCOURAGED or something.