Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Detailed last call comments (addendum)

Hi Ian,

a few notes:

Ian Hickson wrote:
> 6. The image/svg+xml MIME type should have a "charset" parameter so
> that it can be handled consistently whether UAs support that MIME type
> directly or just via RFC3023 support.

Why oh why? The charset parameter can only be one of superfluous, or in
contradiction with the XML content.

> 7. It should be made clearer that namespace declarations must be
> provided either directly or via default attributes declared in the
> internal subset of the DTD, without relying on the DTD (in SVG 1.1) or
> the Schema (in SVG 1.2). (This would just be repeating what it already
> says in XMLNS section 4, "Namespace Constraint: Prefix Declared"
> paragraph 2, but I think it is worth repeating as it is such a common
> mistake for authors to make.)
>
> 8. It should be made clearer that UAs must not assume the SVG
> namespace on the root element if it has been omitted, even if that
> element is has a local name of "svg" and the MIME type is
> image/svg+xml. (There is nothing that says that they _can_ assume
> that, as far as I can tell, but this is a common bug in SVG UAs.)

I think the best approach here is to test for this so that broken
implementation red flag on this issue and stop doing that. There's
already a test for it in the CVS version of the TS. There'll be a few
"my content is broken!" complaints but they'll be resolved fast.

> 9. Now that SVG does not have a DOCTYPE, attribute defaulting is no
> longer achieved by the DTD, which means that elements have no other
> attributes than those that are explicitly set. According to XLink, an
> XLink is only a link if it has the "xlink:type" attribute set to
> "simple". Does that mean that every element that is a link (and takes
> xlink:href) must not explicit have xlink:type="simple" specified? If
> not, does this mean SVG is not an XLink application but merely reuses
> attributes from the XLink namespace while changing their semantics?
> The same applies to all the other defaulted attributes
> ("xlink:actuate", for instance). (This was already possible in SVG 1.1
> by omitting the DOCTYPE, but behaviour in that case was under-defined.
> Since that is now the only case, the problem is more serious.)

This has been discussed and is being addressed, I'm fairly confident
that we'll have a good solution to put forth shortly.

--
Robin Berjon