Re: Reconsider SVG 1.2

Jim Ley wrote:
>    It complicates scripting - because CSS properties are always higher
> specificity than attribute properties, it means you have to do
> setAttributeNS(null,'style','construct a string of all style
> operties')   -  this is both slower and more complicated than just setting
> the stroke-width attribute.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't seem to be true.

Per the SVG 1.1 spec [1] (and the SVG 1.2 proposal claims to be simply an
extension of SVG 1.1 and does not change this part), a UA that has CSS support
must support the relevant DOM CSS interfaces.  So you can do:

   node.style.setProperty("stroke-width", value, "");

which is not particularly more complicated than

   node.setAttribute("stroke-width", value);

(and in some UAs may in fact be faster...).  Now I won't claim that I know what
the state of implementation of this functionality is in current SVG UAs....
(and I would be curious to find out).

-Boris

[1] http://w3.org/TR/SVG11/svgdom.html#CSSDOMFeaturesWithCSSSupport