Re: Reconsider SVG 1.2

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:09:07 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-svg@w3.org

> For your reference we are in the "Last Call" stage right now. "Call for
> Implementations" comes _after_ that, so discussion happens first and

I think what was meant here is that standardisation is normally about
consolidating the results of independent developments.  A normal
standards process is not about the cutting edge, but about taking the best
of what already exists, assembling a coherent whole, and documenting it
in a way that properly defines how edge cases behave (or explicitly
leaves them implementation dependent).

To me, SVG looks more like a product development exercise than a
standardisation one.

In other areas, W3C has gone beyond pure standardisation, but in those
areas it has been more from a social responsibility point of view.