Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: vector effects

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:05:12 +0000 (UTC)
To: Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@GMX.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> I don't agree here. "intersection, excluding, merging of elements" isn't
> limited to GIS use, but are really useful for generic graphic use. [...]
>
> Indeed, these effects can be done with an authoring tool, but many SVG
> files are still done by hand, and such effects will ease greatly the
> coding of some images (if simple to understand and use...).

My point is, how many vector graphics will use these features? 10%? 1%?

You have to draw a line somewhere. Complexity for a few authors is a price
worth paying for making the spec implementable without doubling the size
of the browser.

>>> glyphs should be placed, but Adobe and others explained that there
>>> are other, more sophisticated algorithms for laying out text along a
>>> path.
>> That's another good example of where the exact algorithm used should,
>> IMHO, be left up to the UA
>
> I do believe that exact positionning is important. I did a SVG rendition
> of the Lua logo <http://www.lua.org> with text ("the programming
> language") is going on an arc from 190 to 59. I would hate to see on
> another viewer that text overlaps with the circle after the text, just
> because of the use of another algorithm... (assuming that end user have
> the proper font, of course, but it is a common Helvetica).

Naturally, the spec should say the constraints within with the browsers
should render the text (in this case, not going past the relevant point).
That's a far cry from detailing the exact kerning requirements, etc.