Re: Text Selection

Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

>The SVG WG expected no interoperability between user agents that take
>advantage of <svg:foreignObject>. Anything within an <svg:foreignObject>
>has user-agent-specific behavior.

That's disturbing, because I expect HTML-in-SVG will be a major use case
on the Web. Currently <foreignObject> doesn't work properly under SVG
transformations in Mozilla, but we plan to eventually fix that and have
it actually participate in the SVG rendering pipeline (no temporary
fixed-resolution bitmap). I hope this can be standardized soon.

>Denis points out one very difficult problem: native controls. If the Adobe
>SVG Viewer hosted the IE MSHTML control (which definitely counts as a
>DIFFERENT user agent) to render the embedded HTML, and the content was
>rotated or scaled, what would happen? It is not possible to transform
>native controls; they only know how to work when both upright and on top of
>everything else.

CSS implementors have already grappled with the problems of native
controls. Basic features such as handling the case where a translucent
PNG is positioned on top of a form element raise a lot of issues. If you
want to do CSS3 'opacity' and printing, then you have to have at least
the ability to capture form control rendering to a buffer, and with that
you can do almost anything. So I don't see this as a problem for browsers.

Rob

--
Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word