Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Detailed last call comments (all chapters)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Chris Lilley wrote:

>> 'filter' in particular is a problem. It clashes with a property that
>> was in an older draft of CSS2, and which was implemented by IE.
>
> This is sheer historical revisionism. I was there, and you were not.
> Microsoft first implemented the property, as a vendor extension, then
> suggested adding their filter effects to CSS. There was some interest,
> but they were unable in spite of repeated requests to come up with any
> defined processing model or definition of what they did beyond the
> actual names.

I'm sorry if you thought I was saying that it was put in CSS2 first, that
certainly wasn't supposed to be implied by my statement above. I am fully
aware of Microsoft's business practices.

>> It basically means that IE will never be able to implement SVG in
>> HTML. (A lot of legacy content uses the 'filter' property.)
>
> Which is entirely the CSS WG fault for not providing a standard
> alternative in a timely manner.

You were the chair of the CSS WG at the time, right?

Look, I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of anything, and I'm not really
sure why you misinterpreted my comments. I was just pointing out that
property name clashes are a real problem, since it was suggested that they
weren't and that SVG 1.1's existing properties were proof of this.