Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:14:22 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com>, Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>, <www-svg@w3.org>

On Wednesday, November 10, 2004, 12:50:59 PM, Ian wrote:

>> This is a good thing, to a point, but when renderers produce results
>> that diverge too much artists will stop using it and will return to
>> JPG and PNG - which for images with text is obviously a huge loss.

Yes, exactly.

IH> I am finding it very hard to believe that an explicit word wrapping
IH> algorithm, or lack thereof, would have any effect here. I could be
IH> wrong, of course, but it seems unlikely.

Unlikely as it may seem, yes, you are wrong here. This was specifically
requested so that server-side XML workflows could replace a bunch of
bored photoshop operators laying out JPEG images. This functionality was
requested because working out where the line breaks will fall is too
hard for text generated on the fly.

IH>  Authoring techniques would probably
IH> evolve to say "always include at least one extra line for when the fonts
IH> are slightly bigger than you expect", but that's no big deal, it happens
IH> today with HTML.

Most graphic artists are not interested in that level of sloppy layout,
however.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group