Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

"David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>     What about a family tree collaborative environment where clients
>> can add new people drag boxes out, arrange them, put names in the
>> boxes.
>
> Then fix the line breaks, or use a data format that is more semantic.

but then how is that GraphML or GedCom RDF going to be rendered?  I render
GedCom RDF today in SVG, it works pretty well, but that's because there's no
text in the blubs, I can't add text, as I can't do word wrapping, I can't
transform these rich data formats on the client.  The lack of text wrapping
is preventing me from delivering rich semantic formats to the client, as I
canno then render it in an understandable way.

We want the transformation from semantic to presentational to happen at the
latest possible level, client-side SVG is that level - hence the need for a
known text-wrapping algorithm.

>>     There are outs for this case.  Also remember in SVG the typical way
>> to get larger text size is to simply zoom in - an option that isn't
>> really available in most (any?) HTML browsers.
>
> Zooming tends to imply scrolling, which is generally a nuisance.

Any methods of making text bigger implies scrolling, it's the whole point of
making something bigger in a fixed viewport.

Jim.