Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

From: Peter Sorotokin <psorotok@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:13:05 -0800
To: Cameron McCormack <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>, www-svg@w3.org

At 05:53 PM 11/4/2004 +1100, Cameron McCormack wrote:

>Peter Sorotokin:
> > Well, if you want to use <metaphor> and <smile>, you probably also should
> > use <spacecraft> as well (not simply a drawing of spacecraft) and use
> > something like XSLT stylesheet to transform it into the final-form
> > SVG.  Mixing <svg:path> with <metaphor> does not seem to be particularly
> > appropriate.
>
>I think in general XSLT is not so good for generating SVG from XML data,

Possibly. My main point is that SVG is presentational and if you want to
have real semantic mark-up than you have to generate SVG out of it. XSLT
and SVG can be used together today in simple, but practical cases (and
text-in-the shape is very useful there, would not you agree?), but for
complex transformations a custom transformer has to be written. But
<metaphor> is just as inappropriate in SVG as it is in XSL:FO, at least not
until you can have <spacecraft> as well.

Peter