Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: Detailed last call comments (all chapters)

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:05:13 -0000
To: www-svg@w3.org

"Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> It seems that you don't want people to use SVG for anything but
>> graphics. I'm sorry, but it's a bit late for that.
> People use HTML for graphics and layout, and there is demand for even more
> graphical things to be added to HTML, but you don't see the XHTML working
> group adding more <font>-like elements to HTML.

Are you saying it would be a bad idea to add more graphical elements to

> I have nothing against SVG being used to present applications, so long as
> the language sent over the wire is a standard UI language that can also be
> implemented without SVG, e.g. for blind users using speech-based browsers.
> As, for instance, XForms can.

XForms isn't a UI language, it's an abstract model interaction language - it
defines nothing about the user, SVG is the bridge between the abstract model
of XForms and the rendering.  Do you believe the current SVG cannot
implement XForms?