Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

"Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Ever seen poetry laid out inside a shape? Ever seen ad text following
>> the shiny curves of the latest spacecraft? Ever seen some sombre lament
>> about the passing of time animated as it falls through an hourglass?
>> *That* is what it's for. It's for text when used as graphics.
>
> All three of those examples are great examplies of documents that need
> semantic markup.

So what particular semantic markup would be used in each of those cases?
and why are you not calling out for a huge amount more semantic markup than
the woefully small amount we get in XHTML 1.0 or even XHTML 2.0 - the first
surely needs an advert element, to show it's an advert for a spacecraft - or
perhaps Description if it's just describing it.  The lament is maybe a poem,
maybe just a sentence, it's only debateably a paragraph, and certainly not
anything more semantically available - in reality it's just a snippet of
text.

the content of CSS is semantically empty, it appears in no mark-up
whatsoever, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, the semantics of text in
rendering, comes from the rendering, it is not (necessarily) inherent in the
text.

> or to have them indexed using Semantic Web inference rules.

which would be much easier done with some additional markup that can exactly
specify their intent rather than just assuming it's a P.

> then multiline text in SVG should be done by applying SVG to
> documents in other markup languages, not by adding more text markup to
> SVG,

What other markup languages provide multiline text?  HTML certainly doesn't,
and CSS styling is not possible in SVG Tiny.

Jim.