Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

At 09:01 AM 11/2/2004, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
>>As Peter Sorotokin has pointed out, Adobe has learned through
>>implementation experience that SVG 1.2 flowable text has good
>>compatibility with XHTML, CSS, and XSL-FO. We have succeeded in creating
>>a single text engine that addresses all markup combinations.
>
>I'm sorry, but I do have a concern about this.  This point has been raised
>numerous times in this thread.  When Ian asked whether this engine was
>available for testing, he was told (paraphrase, not quote) "not
>really".  When he pointed to some basic CSS inline model tests and asked
>whether the engine passes them, he was told, (paraphrase, not quote) "I
>didn't bother testing with those since they aren't XHTML, and it doesn't
>matter if it doesn't -- any implementation may have bugs."  [Note: some of
>the tests are in fact XHTML.]
>
>Given that, I'm having a certain lack of confidence in this claim... I
>accept that it's made in good faith, but I would like to know what sort of
>testing has been done to ascertain that this text engine is actually
>compatible with the CSS inline model.
>
>-Boris

I am sorry, but we cannot make our implementation available to the public
at this time. We will probably be able to show it to W3C members sometime
in the not too distant future, but subject to W3C confidentiality rules.

I can say, however, that Adobe does know how to read specifications, how to
implement software that conforms to specifications, how to find existing
public-domain test suites, how to develop our own test suites, and how to
test against existing content on the Web. Adobe played a key role in the
CSS2 specification process, particularly in the authoring process for the
sections on the CSS2 box model. I will also say that Adobe has multiple
products which support all of CSS, not only the "CSS inline model". Adobe
GoLive is a product focused on HTML and CSS authoring. Adobe Acrobat
includes a full CSS engine with the ability to parse arbitrary CSS-styled
HTML on the Web and convert it to PDF. In fact, I find your comment about
whether it is possible to "ascertain that this text engine is actually
compatible with the CSS inline model" to be rather insulting.

Jon