Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

From: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:39:05 +1100
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for entering this thread.

On 1 Nov 2004, at 12:10, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> Your proposal might be a good basis for integration between XHTML and
>> SVG, though.
>
> Are you suggesting that the SVG working group is not, in its
> development
> of SVG1.2, considering multiple document formats to be the primary use
> case?

If Peter isn't then I will. It's an important use case, but it isn't the
primary use case.

> If this is the case, one is forced to question the extent to which
> SVG1.2 is addressing the SVG charter's requirement to produce "a
> modular
> XML tagset usable in mixed-XML namespace documents" [1].

Ahh.. I guess that is where you got the misunderstanding on
priorities. I would have reached the same conclusion if the text
you quoted had something like "above everything else..." or "the
primary use case is to ....". It *is* the first sentence in the mission
statement, so I can see how you read it that way.

I'm not belittling the request. I'm not belittling the important
the SVG WG and charter place on mixed documents. As Peter said, your
proposal may be better suited to mixed-namespace documents (that
support CSS).

Dean