Re: SVG 1.2 Comment: 4 Flowing text and graphics

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:19:45 -0600
To: Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

Thomas DeWeese wrote:
>> It seems bad to me to be requiring a lowest-common-denominator
>> algorithm for line breaking.
>
>    This is because you don't care about graphical interoperability
> between user-agents.  This is exactly why it's appropriate for the
> SVG WG (where this is extremely important) to define this.

I may have missed something, but what provisions are there for ensuring that the
same font is used by all user-agents?  Do documents fail to render altogether if
a required font does not exist?  If not, then what's the point of forcing an
identical line-breaking algorithm if you can't even guarantee identical glyphs?

-Boris