Re: SVG12: charset parameter for image/svg+xml

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:56:17 +0100
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org, ietf-types@iana.org

* Chris Lilley wrote:
>BH> Why does the charset parameter in the example above declare an encoding?
>BH> From http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/mimereg.html it should
>BH> be clear that the is no charset parameter and it thus cannot have such
>BH> semantics, so there is no inconsistency here.
>
>You had not stated your example very carefully. I thought we were still
>talking about what the validator implements.

We are, you said the W3C Markup Validator does not need to be changed
in order to comply with the proposed image/svg+xml registration which
however states that

[...]
  The encoding of an SVG document is determined by the XML encoding
  declaration. This has identical semantics to the application/xml media
  type in the case where the charset parameter is omitted, as specified
  in RFC3023 sections 8.9, 8.10 and 8.11.
[...]

which is inconsistent with the behavior of the W3C Markup Validator.
>From the proposed registration it seems very clear that the behavior
of the W3C Markup Validator is non-conforming, you say it is never-
theless conforming which makes no sense to me.