Re: Comments on SVG 1.2 from a Gecko developer

"Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote in message

> I was just looking through the spec at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20040318/ and I want to make some
> comments from the point of view of a browser implementor. I'm speaking
> on my own behalf and don't purport to officially represent Mozilla. My
> main concern is that this spec overlaps considerably with existing W3C
> recommendations:
>
> -- "Focusable" seems like it should just resurrect the CSS3-UI proposed
> "user-focus" property. I'm not sure why it was dropped from CSS3-UI...

If it's not there, it's not there.  Also CSS is not appropriate for SVG, SVG
has semantics in the end result, it's not in the mark-up it's in the result,
because of CSS's strengths in the User Stylesheet, it makes it inappropriate
for SVG, whilst the SVG WG has gone some way in 1.2 to address these
problem, it's not made the sensible decision of just not including CSS at
all - requiring scripting to make accessible SVG documents is not
appropriate, but at least with the User Stylesheet exposed we can do
something.

I would say that focusable is not a CSS property, the fact that you can give
something focus is nothing to do with the presentation of it, it's pure
semantics.

> -- The tooltip support could just reuse the HTML 'title' attribute, as
> far as I can tell.

No it can't, the title attribute is nothing like a tooltip, the fact that
some UA's choose to author it as such is fine it's good (I'm well known for
prefering ALT for that in my UA's due to my own problems with images,
but...)  A tooltip should be a tooltip, if authors want a tooltip, they need
to know how to create them.

> -- The SVG page support seems to overlap with CSS3 Paged Media.

Could you explain?  everything in SVG is absolutely positioned (other than
flowText obviously), this is pretty different to saying page-break:before
etc.

> (Case in point: a
> browser that already does HTML+CSS won't want to reimplement text layout
> slightly differently for SVG.)

but it'll have to the ability to render text layout in arbritrary shapes
with pixel reproducability is very different to the needs of HTML.

Jim