Re: SVG 1.2 - 3.2.1 editable

On Sun 21 Mar 2004, Peter Sorotokin wrote:

> At 02:35 PM 3/22/2004 +1100, Dean Jackson wrote:
>
> >On Sat 20 Mar 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> >
> >> The editable attribute is a very useful feature, currently though what
> >> happens to the child elements of flowDiv's when they are edited isn't
> >clear.

> >we currently plan to flatten everything into a single node (and thus
> >lose the styling information).
> >
> >Yes, this is nasty, but the feature is really for simple text editing,
> >not complex text editing (think HTML <input type="text">).
> >
> >So, it <flowRoot> should follow the same pattern.
>
> Dean, I think what we decided is that editable behavior won't change the
> DOM structure of the editable text (i.e. it won't create/destroy elements,
> etc.), not that it will flatten everything. So you can add support for more
> complex on to of that.

Fair enough - sorry for forgetting.

So it will never delete text nodes? Even if I remove all the
text (using DEL), I'm left with a empty node? If I position the
cursor just after a <tspan> and just before
another <tspan>, where does the text I type go (into
the first, into the second, or between)?

I have a feeling that we won't be able to specify much that
will help people. A rich text control would be expected to
insert nodes, which will require scripting.

I figure we might as well keep the discussion here for now.

Dean