Focus control using keys

From: Jan-Klaas Kollhof <keyjaque@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:39:22 -0800 (PST)
To: www-svg@w3.org

There was some talk about focus in the new specs and
at the London meeting.

I don't think that the standard focus logic today is
good. That is, that there are only focusable elments
and they are focused one after another.
What I am personally missing is grouping or better
hierachy control.

If I am in a container like a tabed controll I can't
realy get out of it without tabbing through all
focusable elements until I get out of that container
or I have to use access keys(or mouse) which are not
always there. Sometimes there are object which never
can be focused without a mouse !!! Bad !!!

What if there where a way to say focus the parent
container then the sibling of that container and then
the first focusable child ...

I started palying around with it and came up with an
impl. in  SVG + JavaScript.

http://jan.kollhof.net/projects/svg/examples/focus.svg

This is just a small study but I am going to explore
more to find a simple yet powerfull way for focusing
elements using keys.

Jan-Klaas Kollhof