Re: implementation size for SVG Tiny

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:57:12 +0100
To: Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufourd@enst.fr>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Jean-Claude Dufourd wrote:
> Robin Berjon a écrit:
>> Yes, I just wanted to point out that rough may vary quite a lot. For
>> instance, the latest version of PalmOS reportedly has natively all the
>> graphic primitives SVG Tiny needs. That would cut down the code size.
> Right, but that is cheating. This API would only be available on PalmOS,
> so SVG Tiny would only fit 50K on PalmOS, and the number of phones with
> PalmOS being negligible, this would not help.

It's just an example or variance. If Symbian supported the same API the
same would apply.

>>> The BitFlash web site says: SVG Tiny-compliant on Symbian for ~500Kb
>>> If this is the minimum, then I would need a smaller profile.
>> Where did you get that from, I can't find it on BitFlash's website.
>> Are you sure it's not the SVG Basic implementation?
> http://www.bitflash.com/purchase/buy_now.asp
> 4th line

That is quite clearly an implementation of SVG Basic, not SVG Tiny.

>> No, he says "SVG Tiny implementation and advanced 2D graphics for J2ME
>> platform (...) and compact code size about 100K."
>> (http://tinyline.com/svgt/index.html). The conformance page
>> (http://tinyline.com/svgt/conformance.html) gives a good idea of how
>> much of Tiny is supported.
> By element, OK. I want to know by property.

This is not by element, this is the actual test suite. It also tests
properties. Tinyline appears to be very close to being completely

Robin Berjon