Re: RE : RE : What is the best way to design full vectorial scroll-down menus with SVGT1.2

MAHE Vincent FTRD/DIH/REN wrote:
> Yes, I want this kind of menus but isn't it possible not to mention
> dimensions in <svg width="160" height="240" ...>
> And to put percentage values in basic forms like :
>
> <rect fill="#fff" x="-80" y="-120" width="100%" height="50%"/>
>
> Instead of : <rect fill="#fff" x="-80" y="-120" width="160"
> height="240"/>

That's not how it works but yes there is a solution to your problem. For
one, in SVG Tiny you can only use units (and percentages are units) on
the width and height of the rootmost <svg> element. What you would do
would be:

<svg width='100%' height='100%' viewBow='0 0 100 100'>
   <rect x='0' y='0' width='100' height='42'/>
</svg>

This would give you a <rect> filling up the top 42% of your screen.

> In HTML, as you certainly know, we often use this kind of mechanisms
> since we don't know the screen size of the device.

It can only be different from HTML since the rendering model is
different but a similar feature is there.

> The S of SVG stands for "Scalable" which means that it must be
> possible to define fully scalable components in SVG ... no ?

Yes!

> What about the text ? What kind of fonts should I use in order to
> have  fully scalable text ?

The best is to use SVG fonts. You'll get the same font on all devices
and you can specify the font-size so that it scales.

> What I want to avoid is to be obliged to generate a different SVG
> stream for each target device : I just put my SVG file on a web server
> and I'm sure that all mobile devices will be able to display it
> correctly in Full screen.

SVG provides for that, but I agree that one thing that is missing is a
nice resource site on how content creators should use SVG best in device
independent ways.

--
Robin Berjon