Re: Does SVG 1.0 define this? (non-<svg> root element)

On Monday, June 14, 2004, 2:28:00 PM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Dean Jackson wrote:
>> >    <foo>
>> >     <rect x="0" y="0" width="200" height="100" fill="blue"
>> >           xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"/>
>> >    </foo>
>> >
>> > ...respectively.
>>
>> We only say what should happen when you use SVG in the context
>> of SVG. In your example, I assume that it would be the language
>> that owns <foo> that would decide.

IH> Ah, interesting.  So if <foo> is being rendered according to CSS, then
IH> that SVG element would have no SVG semantics and should just be rendered
IH> as any arbitrary XML?  I guess that makes sense, yeah.

Well, CSS does not change the semantics. But it would change the
rendering, in this case.

>> Do you expect the SVG spec to say something in this case? Or, if this
>> isn't the behaviour you expect, what do you expect?

IH> I didn't really have any expectations, I was just wondering if the SVG
IH> spec said something about how to handle elements in the SVG namespace
IH> outside of SVG contexts.

The SVG spec refers to the 'root-most svg element' when determining svg
rendering. Without one, there is no world coordinates to viewport
mapping, for example.

IH> Unless I hear otherwise, I'll assume (for the purposes of conformance
IH> testing) that what you say above is what I should test. In other words,
IH> SVG elements in non-SVG contexts are handled as arbitrary XML elements and
IH> have no SVG-derived semantics.

Their semantics are unchanged. The rendering might change. For eample,
some 3DML might use SVG elements (as children of an element that
establishes a 2D plane in 3D space, for example). Te rendering would
presumably be different.

IH> Would you say this extended to the DOM interfaces too? That is, if I
IH> create an SVG element, does it have SVG interfaces if it is not in an SVG
IH> context? (What about if it has no parent nodes, e.g. I just used
IH> createElementNS to create it?)

Interesting. I would assume that SVG interfaces need an SVGSVGElement
to bootstrap from.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group