Re: Does SVG 1.0 define this? (non-<svg> root element)

On Sat 12 Jun 2004, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I couldn't find anything in the spec that defined how an XML file whose
> root element is in the SVG namespace but isn't the <svg> element should be
> handled. Am I missing something?
>
> Similarly, what should happen with SVG elements that are encountered
> inside fragments in other namespaces?
>
> e.g.:
>
>    <rect x="0" y="0" width="200" height="100" fill="blue"
>          xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"/>
>
> ...and:
>
>    <foo>
>     <rect x="0" y="0" width="200" height="100" fill="blue"
>           xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"/>
>    </foo>
>
> ...respectively.

We only say what should happen when you use SVG in the context
of SVG. In your example, I assume that it would be the language
that owns <foo> that would decide.

Do you expect the SVG spec to say something in this case? Or,
if this isn't the behaviour you expect, what do you expect?

Dean