Re: Does SVG 1.0 define this?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>>> It's not a conforming SVG document fragment as per G.2.
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/conform.html what viewers should do with
>>> non-conforming SVG documents isn't specificied, just what viewers have
>>> to do with conforming ones.
>>
>> No, SVG goes on at length about how documents that are "in error"
>> should be handled (F.2).
>
> F.2 says clearly that:
>| When an element has an attribute or property value
>| which is not permissible according to this specification
>
> And xlink:href on rect is not permissable according to the
> specification, Antoine provided the link.

We're not talking about attribute or property _values_, but entire
attributes, which is the bullet point prior to the one you quoted, which
reads:

# When an element or attribute is encountered in the document which is not
# part of the SVG DTD and which is not properly identified as being part
# of another namespace

...but in this case, it _is_ properly identified as being part of another
namespace, namely the XLink namespace.

>>> It ain't an SVG document fragment, what happens to it is up to you...
>>
>> It seems odd to me that SVG would _intentionally_ leave just three
>> cases undefined
>
> I assume you're asserting the intentionally based on some other sources?
> as it could of course be an oversight, they're quite common in
> specifications

Sorry, I had understood you were implying that it was intentionally
undefined. Yes, I would say it is just an error in the specification.

> and by my reading none of your cases are actually that undefined, the
> xlink attribute is dealt with by the quote above,

I don't believe so, as explained above.

> the other two examples are equivalent, and as I say G2 deals with those.

As mentioned before, G.2 doesn't say what a conformant implementaton would
do, it only says that the given documents are not conformant documents. If
it said they were /in error/ then it would be a different matter, but it
doesn't. (The term "in error" has special meaning in the SVG spec.)