Re: Mozilla-Opera and SVG

On Monday, June 7, 2004, 7:04:51 PM, Tonny wrote:

TK> Hi,

TK> There is interesting article on slashdot
TK> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/07/107259
TK> here is other link referenced from that article
TK> http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4816

TK> here is the stuff?
TK> "MozillaZine is reporting that the Mozilla Foundation and Opera Software
TK> have formed a working group to develop specifications for Web
TK> applications. The new Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group
TK> is working on specs for Web Forms 2.0, Web Apps 1.0 and Web Controls
TK> 1.0, among others. This is being done outside of the W3C, with the hope
TK> of getting a viable alternative to Longhorn's XAML available soon.

So, its not a W3C working group but instead, is a small group of
individuals trying to bring back the browser wars mentality. Its
invitation only, I see, though I expect most specs will be on hixie.ch
anyway.

TK> Another reason for working outside the W3C could be the rift between
TK> Mozilla/Opera and other W3C members over what technologies Web
TK> applications solutions such be based on: Mozilla/Opera favour a
TK> backwards-compatible HTML-based standard,

Well, since they are doing new work then its not backwards compatible

TK> others are looking towards to
TK> XForms and SVG. It will be interesting to see if any other browser
TK> developers jump on board WHATWG.

TK> The questions is how this related to SVG development, what do you think?

Not at all, since apart from some fancy names for 'a few more HTML 4
tags' there isn't much there and it ignores pretty much all Web
developments of the last four or so years - it rejects even XML.

Given that Mozilla itself embraces XML, RDF, has a simple XLink
implementation, does some SVG, and so on its a fair bet that this
represents a few disgruntled, tired individuals trying to bring back the
'who needs standards, we have quick hacks' good old days rather than a
radical change of direction for Mozilla as a whole.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group