path's d attribute - why not use parenthesis?

From: Nate <nate@adeptisoft.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:27:51 -0700
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
I'm just starting to learn about SVG. Very interesting stuff! Something I've
noticed after playing with the 'path' element is the 'd' attribute gets hard
to read.

For example:

<path d="M150,150 l0,0 a75,75 0 1,0 150,150 z" />

The 'lineto' part (at least in my editor) looks like a 1 instead of a lower
case L. The 'arc' is even harder to read with the white spaces, commas, etc.
Even if that were not an issue, it still just looks like a bunch of letters
and numbers.

I know the idea is to keep the file size as small as possible but I think if
parenthesis were added (or maybe optional would be best) it wouldn't add
much to the file size and it would help readability considerably.

Example:
<path d="M(150,150) l(0,0) a(75,75 0 1,0 150,150) z" />

That to me is easier to read, plus coming from PHP background the M() and
l() look like a function would, which is kind of what they are anyway right?

Thanks for reading.

Nate