Re: consideration for SVG 1.2

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:06:38 +0200
To: James Bentley <James.Bentley@guideworkstv.com>
Cc: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>

James Bentley wrote:
> Please consider allowing 'tref' elements to reference 'switch' elements. Our
> current product has a need to provide conditional text based on resources
> available on the platform (i.e. 'externalResourcesRequired'). In this
> manner,
> we can support our conditional text insertion, and inherit the proper
> styling.

In SVG 1.1 tref can reference *any* element, and its full textual
content will be used (without the markup). I assume that what you want
is for switch to do its conditional processing before tref does its
inclusion, otherwise you get all of switch's content, right?

The problem I see with this is that you if you take into account switch
you might as well take into account display, or foreignObject, or a
variety of other things (which'll break backcompat) -- special-casing
for switch feels a bit wrong. Also, the functionality needed for tref to
extract the text is already needed by DOM's textContent attribute, so
it's reusing existing code.

--
Robin Berjon