Re: Comments on SVG 1.2 from a Gecko developer

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:43:59 +0200
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:
>>Java:
>>    DOMWindow w = document.getWindow();
>>    SVGWindow w2 = (SVGWindow)w;
>>    Connection c = w2.createConnection();
>
> Surely the real problem here is that Java already has networking
> APIs.  This feature is not a Document Object Model feature; it
> is a viewing platform object model feature, and it is largely
> premised on the idea that there is only one language binding
> that matters: ECMAScript (commonly called JavaScript) - i.e.
> SVG describes an application platform, and that platform uses
> ECMAScript - it no longer describes a document language.

All language bindings count (even though EcmaScript is the only required
one). Jave doesn't have a networking API, J2SE and J2EE do. IIRC J2ME
does not have it for instance (I could be out of date here). EcmaScript
and a few other likely candidates don't have one, which is why it needs
to be specified in order for the SVG Platform to be workable.

--
Robin Berjon