Simple Paths

From: Andrew Main <andrew.main1@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:59:52 +0100
To: <www-svg@w3.org.>
Draft 1.2 is interesting, but I don't see why you haven't addressed some
of the earlier glaring weaknesses.

FIRST

Closepath Z and Moveto M don't allow proper drawing of some objects.

Imagine a room with a doorway.  I want to leave a gap at the doorway,
AND I want to use closepath so that the lines at the corner form a good
shape.  EG

<path d=" M 0 0 h 100 v 100 h -100 v -60 m 0 20 z " />

leaves an ugly corner at the origin (0,0).

That is clumsy, and well worth correcting.

SECOND

M has no equivalents of H and V.  Lots of graphics need
horizontal/vertical lines, AND gaps.  But M forces use of both
coordinates!  (??weird anomaly??)

It is at least odd: almost perverse!  Lots of marginally useful features
(ellipses, Bezier, etc, but the basic straight lines seem
clumsy/awkward/inept at times.

Sorry to grumble.  Svg has some strong points, but (like all of us, I
guess) it is not perfect.

Andrew Main