SVG 1.2 Feature Request: Controlling global time, clock speed

From: Andreas Neumann <neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:48:04 +0100 (CET)
To: www-svg@w3.org
Cc: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com

Hi all!

This might have been discussed already - not sure about that.

Many mediaplayer allow the control the global clock speed for all animations.

Imagine having a complex animated application with many dependencies, elements
that start after the completion of previous animations.

A use case would be a animated map, where one or more elements are animated,
further elements are stepping in with offset values related to the start or end
of a previous animation. So there are a lot of dependencies among the
animations. If I want to speed up or slow down the whole application, I would
have to write a script that steps through all animations and adds a factor to
the durations, begin and end times. This can be quite complex.

It would be much easier to specify the global clock speed with a factor. Say the
second equals 1.5 seconds, or 0.8 seconds. All animations would inherit that
different clock-speed automagically. I believe in Flash this is possible by
changing the frame-rate.

Another use case would be a cartoon animation, where the user wants to speed up
or slow down the whole animation sequence.

Theoretically we could expose the global clock speed also to the user-interface
(e.g. context-menue), pretty much like ASV now allows to pause/unpause the
animations.

What do you think?

Andreas

--
I don\'t know the key to success,
but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/