Re: SVG 1.2 Feedback

From: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:03:22 +1100
To: Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Hi Thomas,

On Tue 13 Jan 2004, Thomas DeWeese wrote:

> Flow Text:
>
>    I am a little curious what the line breaking behavior is supposed
> to be.  Section 3.1.12 says that Unicode Standard Annex No. 14 is used
> to determine line break opportunities.  This section also seems to
> say that all glyphs from one word must appear in the same strip, yet
> the 'Go!' example (while impressive) seems to violate this
> principle a number of times ('p''aragraph', 'br''eak', 'th''i''rd').
> I would put this down to a 'beta' implementation of flow text but
> the associated text in the 'GO!' example seems to indicate that
> this is the correct behavior.

Your hunch is correct - it's a buggy (or non-conformant
implementation that provided that screenshot). I noticed
it myself today (and others have sent me email saying
it was wrong).

>    So which is correct?  I certainly hope it is section 3.1.12 as I
> think the hard breaking of the words in this example is not very
> good.  It might make sense to allow hard breaking only in the case
> where the glyphs from the first word on the line can not fit within
> a single strip although there is currently nothing that would define
> this.

Yes, the 3.1.12 is correct.
I'm not sure about hard breaking the first word, but since you
wrote most of the current algorithm, then I value your advice.
What do you think?

Dean