Re: <use> an external file

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:07:10 +0100
To: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Cc: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, www-svg@w3.org

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, 4:04:27 PM, Jonathan wrote:

JC> I would like to emphasise what a ridiculous hassle it is updating and
JC> maintaining an SVG site where "<use> an external file" is not available

I agree that all desktop SVG implementations should support this.
Basic implementations, too. Tiny, not really.

JC> Being in the process of making our site
JC> http://www.peepo.co.uk/launch/index.svg accessible on a variety of
JC> browsers.

JC> This would appear to be a relatively minor technical problem to solve
JC> and should be essential in all SVG standards including tiny and
JC> mobile....

The 'relatively minor' problem is not so minor for Tiny
implementations on a platform that

a) does not have the concept of a filesystem (so can't get at local
'files') and which

b) might be getting their content via a push, peer to peer method
rather than being able to make HTTP requests (the content originator
can be another phone, which can send a message but is not running a
server).

On the other hand, those devices won't be getting content from your
site, either.