ECMAScript Edition 3.0

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:42:50 -0000
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi,

I would like SVG 1.2 to require ECMAScript Edition 3.0, not just edition
3.0, currently all UA's other than ASV with NN4 and IE's with old JScript
interpreters (rare but the script engine is distinct from the browser) are
not Ed. 3, so there's no problem with implementations.

Requiring it though will allow us to use Ed. 3 features without worrying and
combined with application/svg+xml will provide a secure new platform where
we can use things like try { } catch (e) {} with assurance - something that
is really required with DOM's that throw errors.

Alternatively a version attribute or something on a script block, but that's
really the domain of a script mime-type registration and I don't want the WG
going down there.

Jim.