Snapshot draft of SVG 1.2 released

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:15:09 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

The SVG Working Group is pleased to announce the availability of a
snapshot draft of SVG 1.2.

This document shows ongoing work, and is published now to get early
feedback and to give a document for the SVG WG face to face meeting
next week. Portions are known to be incomplete; we anticipate a new
draft in a few weeks time. Please see in particular the 'status of
this document' section:

> This document is the fifth public working draft of the SVG 1.2
> specification. It lists the areas of new work in version 1.2 of SVG
> and is not a complete language description. The SVG Working Group
> consider the feature set of SVG 1.2 to be approaching stability.
> However, there are some cases where the descriptions in this
> document are incomplete and simply show the current thoughts of the
> SVG Working Group on the feature, or list the open issues.
> Therefore, this document should not be considered stable.
> The SVG Working Group planned for this release to be a nearly
> complete draft of the SVG 1.2 language. However, the Group chose to
> publish an incomplete draft now in order to get public feedback on
> the new features as soon as possible. The sixth public Working Draft
> of SVG 1.2 is tentatively scheduled for publication in two weeks
> time. See the list of features expected to be included in that
> release.

See also the changelog:

and the plans for the next draft:

We encourage you to look at the new RelaxNG Schema for SVG 1.2

People interested in the new DOM are encouraged to look at:

17.1 DOM Level 3 Support

17.2 Subsetting the DOM for mobile devices
the link above for the overall goals and introduction, and the
following link for the details of the Tiny part:

17.3 Typed access to attribute values

The next draft will complete the integration of the uDOM, DOM3, and
traits; this was not completed in time for this draft. DOM 3
normalization of attribute values provides both more power and a lower
implementation footprint because the string form does not need to be
stored but can be computed on demand from the internal representation.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group