Re: Third release of Constraint SVG browser

On Thu 2004-02-26 Robin Berjon wrote:
> [...]
> 23.1 Foreign namespaces and private data
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/extend.html#PrivateData
> [...]

I see, thanks.

> >>Content in foreign namespaces is welcome pretty much everywhere.
> >
> >Since this is not generally true for all XML languages [1]; where
> >do which (SVG) specs allow it?
>
> It is however imho true of all well-designed XML languages.

Yes, I wrote I think it's sensible [1].

What I meant above (and described in the footnote) is that sometimes
there's confusion which leads people to think that content from
foreign namespaces is always allowed (anywhere in any XML document)
just because it comes from a foreign namespace and language, which is
not true.

(I didn't know if you referred to SVG or to all XML documents with
"Content in foreign namespaces is welcome pretty much everywhere.")

> >The freedom to add foreign content "anywhere" would also have to be
> >expressed in the schemas.
>
> Yes.

I hope the 1.1 RNG will be updated soon and maintained actively until
it's complete and correct, but you already knew that :)

> We have been considering using NRL to help with that.

For allowing arbitrary foreign content RNG suffices, but NRL might be
more convenient for you [2]. If people need to validate that foreign
content then NRL helps, but you (the SVG WG) can't really help with
that AFAICS, since content from any foreign namespace is allowed. I
assume you refer to using NRL for stuff like XLink and XSLT which is
respectively will be referenced from the specs?

Tobi

[1]
On the other hand languages like DocBook should not allow foreign
content everywhere IMHO, it's not often required and documents stay
cleaner that way.

[2]
For me (and probably other users) it's more convenient to have a
complete RNG though (NRL tools aren't yet as widely available as RNG
tools), this should be available in any case.

--
Vim users, don't forget to
   http://iccf-holland.org/donate.html