path and direction

From: Greg Sepesi <sepesi@eduneer.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:48:26 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org

I've implemented a directed graph library that I'd like to call from
SVG's JavaScript.

I appreciate that SVG paths can be defined just once in the <defs>
element and then reused in rendering the paths, labeling the paths, and
defining animation traversing the paths.  I've just started to seriously
delve into SVG and I'm beginning to think that I'll need to duplicate
the path definitions: one for each direction.  There are cases when
<textPath> requires the path in one direction in order for the text to
appear on the preferred side of the path, but <mpath> requires the path
in the other direction for animating a shortest path solution.  Does SVG
1.1 have some path direction control that I've overlooked?

Regards,
Greg