Re: CSS WG comments on SVG 1.2

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:57:49 +0000 (UTC)
To: Peter Sorotokin <psorotok@adobe.com>
Cc: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, Antoine Quint <ml@graougraou.com>, www-svg@w3.org

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Peter Sorotokin wrote:

> > > So would prefixing the majority of the CSS properties with "html-".
> > > Half :)
> >
> > There's nothing HTML-specific about CSS propertes.
>
> To be more precise, there is something box-model specific.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2004Dec/0001.html

True, we could prefix the background-related properties with 'background',
the font-related properties with 'font', the border-related properties
with 'border', the list-related properties with 'list'... Oh wait... ;-)

However, my concern is that SVG 1.2's proposed names are actually harming
this property separation, in fact. For example, it introduces the
'background-fill' property despite that property having nothing to do with
any of the other 'background-*' properties. It introduces one-word
properties that only apply to specific models (one-word properties in CSS
usually apply to multiple models). And so forth.

So I don't buy the argument that there is a parallel between prefixing the
SVG properties with 'svg-' and prefixing the box-model properties with
'box-'.