Re: howto fill a divided figure?

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:36:37 +0200
To: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, 10:41:18 AM, Jonathan wrote:

JC> draw a figure, let's say a rectangle.
JC> divide it, let's say bisect it.
JC> now fill the 2 halves with complementary colours.

JC> seems simple, but is it?

JC> I can't seem to find a way to do what any 3 year old can....

If you watch a three year old draw a circle, they will go around
multiple times to make a big bold circle.

SVG can't do that, so it must be broken. However, it has stroke-width to
achieve the same effect.

JC> This would seem a pretty serious design flaw, as it isn't currently
JC> possible to emulate a relatively simple and basic means of expression
JC> with any GUI tool.

Sure it is. The gui tool just generates the correct SVG. It would
involve multiple shapes, naturally - some stroked and some filled.

You should look for tools that have union, intersection, and other
constructive geometry features.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group