Re: SVG 1.2 ...

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:34:27 +0200
To: alex.adam@evolgrafix.com
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Hi,

Alexander Adam wrote:
> Due the research of requirements for a viewer for SVG 1.2 I wanted to
> ask a few questions.
>
> 1.) Will SVG 1.2 be a recommendation in Jan 2005 (like in the roadmap)
> or will it take longer?

It is of course impossible to make promises, but January seems
reasonable to me for end-of-CR or Rec time. If you're considering
writing an implementation, SVG 1.2 is clearly the target to pick at this
point.

> 2.) When could someone start an implementation of SVG 1.2 to be sure
> there're no more changes in it

I'm not sure what you mean, but implementations are already being worked on.

> 3.) I'm still pretty confused with RCC vs XBL. What exactly is XBL (some
> code sample would be really nice) and how does it compare with RCC? Will
> XBL replace RCC? When will the draft reflect that change?

sXBL is mostly a different syntax for RCC, it has some differences but
overall the feature-set is very similar. It will be reusable by other
specs as well, and pave the way to a more complete XBL. At this point in
time, the XBL Task Force is *very* close to releasing a draft. Yes, the
next SVG 1.2 WD will reflect the change.

> 4.) I'm not perfectly into SVG 1.2 but afaik it supports a socket modul,
> right?

Yes. It will likely be spawned into a separate spec at some point, but
SVG will mandate its availability.

> 5.) How's Xpath-Selection done in SVG 1.2 (e.g. with javascript to
> select an element) or is that not allowed?

The current plan is to use DOM 3 XPath, but given strong feedback that
this is too complex a simplified API on top of it may be provided.

--
Robin Berjon