preserveAspectRatio / viewBox

From: Shutter, Simon B WLAP:EX <Simon.Shutter@gems4.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:44:28 -0700
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>

Hello,

I am struggling to understand the concepts of coordinate transformations and
nested objects.  What I would like to do is create a viewbox that has an
aspect ratio that is different to the svg width and height but I don't want
to preserve the aspect ratio.  Inside that viewbox I would like to create
another element but preserve it aspect ratio.

I'm hoping someone can suggest a best practice for this.

Thanks