Test that <use> for external documents is supported: SVG degrades gracefully

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:57:08 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

It is crucial that SVG degrades gracefully, we are setting a precedent,
which should include awareness of WCAG.

With the current development of SVG players that support <use>, and its
ability to import <defs> from external libraries a script test would be
useful, in the interim please can we have an example that degrades

Our current implementation*:
svg players that support external <use>: a "fireCurtain" hides the
redirect message.
svg players that dont support external <use> <defs> see a message
offering upgrade and redirect links after 2 sec (assumes
No svg player, refresh enabled auto-redirect
No svg player, javascript enabled auto-redirect

Does this work for You?
if not please let me know.

SVG for people with learning difficulties

displays graphics in IE6 with ASV6,
for other SVG player it display redirect and upgrade message
redirects if not true: (navigator.mimeTypes["image/svg-xml"] != null)
{.....  //from sun.com

Check Jim Ley's email:
[svg-developers] Re: What is a test for <use> support
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:37:00 -0000