Test that <use> for external documents is supported: SVG degrades gracefully

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:57:08 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

It is crucial that SVG degrades gracefully, we are setting a precedent,
which should include awareness of WCAG.

With the current development of SVG players that support <use>, and its
ability to import <defs> from external libraries a script test would be
useful, in the interim please can we have an example that degrades
gracefully?

Our current implementation*:
svg players that support external <use>: a "fireCurtain" hides the
redirect message.
svg players that dont support external <use> <defs> see a message
offering upgrade and redirect links after 2 sec (assumes
animateTransform)
No svg player, refresh enabled auto-redirect
No svg player, javascript enabled auto-redirect

Does this work for You?
if not please let me know.

thanks

Jonathan
http://www.peepo.co.uk
SVG for people with learning difficulties

*
http://www.peepo.co.uk
displays graphics in IE6 with ASV6,
for other SVG player it display redirect and upgrade message
redirects if not true: (navigator.mimeTypes["image/svg-xml"] != null)
{.....  //from sun.com

Check Jim Ley's email:
[svg-developers] Re: What is a test for <use> support
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:37:00 -0000