externalResourcesRequired and SVGLoad

From: Gavin Kistner <gavin@refinery.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:52:07 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org

In discussing the externalResourcesRequired attribute/property, the
SVG1.1 specs say:

"true -- Indicates that resources external to the current document are
required. If an external resource is not available, progressive
rendering is suspended, the **document's** SVGLoad event is not fired
and the animation timeline does not begin until that resource and all
other required resources become available, have been parsed and are
ready to be rendered." [1]

(The asterisk emphasis is, of course, mine.)

I submit that the intent of an SVGLoad event is violated if this does
not apply to each SVGLoad event in the chain on up, including the
element with this attribute.

For example, for the code:

I expect that function not to fire until after the 'nodes.svg#router'
code has been loaded from the url and rendered. This is how it works
for HTML (the onload event for an image doesn't fire until the image
has been loaded) and IMO is the only reasonable interpretation of an
onload event combined with external loading of data.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#ExternalResourcesRequired
Gavin Kistner @ Refinery, Inc.
work: +1.303.444.1777
cell: +1.303.641.1521