Re: Adobe plugin security fixes reccommend proprietary EMBED

"David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Another news item last week throws serious doubt on the viability of
> any plugin based option for SVG for use in non-scripted contexts (e.g.
> as a replacement for GIF for straightforward line art images).

object is not sufficiently specified for this, due to the non-specified
behaviour of links, so you can't use object to include your SVG if some
times you intend it to behave like html:img and sometimes behave like
html:iframe.  If you want to use an SVG image as a replacement for gif,
you'll need to use it in a html:img element - I know of no UAs which support
this.

> As
> a work around for the EOLAS patent, IE will prompt every time before
> running a plugin unless the resource is provided as a data: scheme URL,
> or the object is initialised using DOM manipulation (by code from the
> remote site).

You can also use iframe to include SVG documents, which is valid, and
doesn't have any prompt issues, or require the data to be inline, or written
by script.

Jim.